Beef Chilli Con Carne with Crispy Aubergine
- 2 tbsp beef tallow or coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2-3 green chillies, finely sliced
- 2 tsp (1 for chilli, 1 for aubergine) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (1 for chilli, 1 for aubergine) ground coriander
- 600g beef mince
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 x 400g chopped tomato tin
- 2 tsp xylitol
- 1 cup homemade beef stock
- himalayan salt and black pepper
- 1 aubergine, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, for frying
- to serve guacamole, chopped tomato, fresh coriander and lime wedges
1. For the chilli: Heat the tallow or coconut oil in a pan, add garlic, onion, chilli and 1 tsp ground coriander and 1 tsp ground cumin, sauté for 3 minutes or until the onion is soft and golden. Add the beef mince and cook until browned, add tomato paste and cook for another minute, then stir through the tinned chopped tomatoes, xylitol, beef stock and salt and pepper.
2. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season.
3. For the aubergine: Heat coconut oil in a small saucepan. Fry aubergine slices until golden and crisp. Toss together spices (1 tsp ground coriander and 1 tsp ground cumin) and seasoning and sprinkle over hot aubergine rounds.
5. To serve: Place the mince in 4 bowls, and serve with aubergine rounds, guacamole, tomato, fresh coriander and lime leaves.
- Serves 4