Chicken Schnitzel with Nutty Coating
|4 flattened chicken breast fillets|
|1 tsp (plus enough to season chicken) himalayan salt|
|3 tbsp pumpkin seeds|
|2 tbsp dijon mustard|
|60g pecan nuts|
|1/2 cup pecorino cheese, grated|
|pinch white pepper|
|2 tsp dried rosemary|
|1 cup desiccated coconut|
|coconut oil, for frying|
|to serve: lemon wedges|
|to garnish: flat-leaf parsley|
|to serve: green bean, tomato and onion salad|
- Place the flattened chicken fillets on a surface. Spread the mustard and season well.
- For the crust: Chop the pumpkin seeds and pecan nuts until fairly fine and combine them with the pecorino cheese, desiccated coconut, dried rosemary, 1 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of white pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Break the eggs into a separate shallow bowl and beat well. Dip the chicken fillets into the egg one at a time, then into the crust mixture to coat, and place them on a metal rack.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and fry the schnitzels for at least 5 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through.
- To serve: Serve schnitzels with lemon wedges and a green bean, tomato and onion salad, and garnish with parsley.
- Tip: Finely grated pecorino works best!