Easy homemade chicken stock
|1 whole chicken|
|2 large brown onions with skins on|
|6 long stalks celery|
|5g fresh parsley|
|2 bay leaves|
|5g fresh thyme|
|10 whole peppercorns|
- Roughly chop celery and place all ingredients into a large 5L pot.
- Fill pot with enough water to submerge all the ingredients and place over a medium heat.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 1½ –2 hours, topping up with additional water if necessary.
- Leave to cool, then remove chicken and strain stock through a colander into a bowl.
- Stock may be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days or portioned and frozen for easy use when needed.
- The chicken will be tender, moist and flavourful and may be used as you like.