Eggplant Picnic Pie
|1 thinly sliced onion|
|2 tbsp coconut oil, for cooking|
|4 large eggplant|
|2 tbsp melted coconut oil|
|2 cloves minced garlic|
|300g ricotta cheese, crumbled|
|1 x 400g tin, drained and chopped artichokes|
|350g kale, chopped and sauteed|
|100g sliced salami|
|himalayan salt and black pepper|
|120g sliced ham|
|6 eggs, medium-boiled and peeled|
|50g parmesan cheese, grated|
|micro green salad, to serve|
- Slice the eggplant in 1/2cm slices. Sprinkle the sliced eggplant with coarse salt, place in layers in a colander and allow to stand for 20 minutes. Brush off the salt and dab away any excess moisture.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Brush coconut oil over both sides of the eggplant, then place in a roasting tray and roast until soft and golden, about 15 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Grease a 22cm-diameter loose-bottomed springform tin. Line the base and sides with eggplant slices, so that they overlap slightly, reserving some eggplant for the top.
- For the filling: Heat oil in a pan and sauté the onion until golden, add the garlic and cook until soft. Cool this mixture and place in a bowl, then add artichoke, kale and ricotta, and season well.
- Layer half the salami and ham in the bottom of the tin lined with eggplant. Add half the ricotta mixture. Arrange the boiled eggs evenly around the tin, fill with remaining ricotta mixture and layer remaining salami and ham on top.
- Arrange remaining eggplant slices over the ‘pie’, sprinkle with parmesan and bake for 45–50 minutes, or until golden. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before unmoulding.