Lamb Shanks with Bacon & Red Wine
|4 lamb shanks|
|3tbsp coconut oil|
|himalayan salt and black pepper|
|250g chopped bacon|
|3 stalks celery, chopped|
|2 leeks, chopped|
|1/4 cup dry red wine|
|2 cups beef stock|
|3 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 cup homemade passata|
|3 bay leaves|
|to serve: cauli rice|
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC.
- Season the lamb shanks, heat a large ovenproof pot, add 2 tbsp coconut oil and brown the meat well on all sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Heat the remaining coconut oil in the pot, add the bacon, celery and leek, sauté until golden, toss in the garlic and cook for another minute. Pour in the wine, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the passata, stock and bay leaves, stir well and return the lamb shanks to the pot. Cover and roast in the oven for 1½ hours.
- To serve: Garnish with bay leaves and serve with steamed kale and cauli rice.