- The Lose It! website (www.loseit.co.za) and magazine (Lose It!) provide educational information, opinion and guidance on weight loss management and are intended to help users lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. The courses are designed to help users follow the lifestyle and provide a guideline for those voluntarily choosing to follow this lifestyle.
- Although our courses have been developed by professionals and are overseen by a nutritionist, you must not use the content on the Lose It! website or one of our courses as a substitute for medical advice from a healthcare professional. Lose It! is not a medical organisation and cannot give medical advice or make diagnoses. You should always consult a qualified professional before starting any weight loss programme.
- If you are on medication or suffer from any chronic condition or other ailment, you must consult a doctor or qualified healthcare professional before purchasing any of the products offered on this website.
- The information and material on this website are intended as a general guide to assist weight loss and do not take into account individual circumstances. Lose It! will not provide any form of assistance or support on individual cases nor feedback on any information you submit or post to this website save for general commentary and advice, where appropriate. In such event, these terms will apply to such commentary and advice.
- You use the Lose It! website and the information contained on it (including the courses) entirely at your own risk and you assume full responsibility and risk of loss resulting from such use. Lose It!, Media 24, their affiliates, shareholders, office bearers, employees, agents and consultants are not liable for any damages or harm resulting in any way from the content of Lose It! or from your following one of our courses.
- We’ve taken all reasonable steps to ensure the correctness of the information provided on the Lose It! website.
- When you sign up for a course on LOSE IT!, you agree to receive the newsletter and reminder emails that will be sent to you at 6am on the relevant mornings for the duration of the course.
- When you sign up for one of our courses or apply to attend one of our events or workshops, you warrant that you are 18 or over. No person under 18 can sign up for a course by themselves.
- In the event of a dispute, the Consumer Protection Act and the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act both apply.
- Terms of Purchase (Updated 25 October 2017): You will have access to the courses and forums for two (2) course cycles from your start date, whichever course you’ve signed up for (LCHF; Afrikaans LCHF, Kosher or Banting Bounceback), whereafter you will need to sign up again. The course is not available via email – it is all online so that you can access it anywhere.
- We may at our sole discretion amend these terms, in which case the amended terms will then be binding on you.
Part A: General Information and Terms
- General information about usFor your convenience, we have listed below some general information about ourselves.
- Media24 Ltd is a private company incorporated in accordance with the laws of the Republic of South Africa with registration number 1950/038385/06.
- The chief executive officer of Media24 Ltd is Esmare Weideman, and the GM of the Lifestyle Magazines Division is Charlene Beukes. The list of office bearers and board of directors of Media24 Ltd is available at < a href=”http://www.media24.com”>www.media24.com.
- Our postal address is PO Box 1802, Cape Town 8000.
- Our business address is 4 Adderley Street, Cape Town, South Africa and we will accept service of all legal documents there.
- Our telephone and fax numbers are: tel (021) 408 1278; fax 086 530 1326.
- Our e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are members of the Digital Media and Marketing Association and subscribe to its code of conduct.
- Contact our webmaster at email@example.com.
- Account means your subscription account for the use of our services;
- Content means any information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, comments, blogs, forums, chat groups, bulletin boards, ideas, feedback, suggestions and tags contained on this website;
- Contributor Guidelines means our guidelines for making content contributions to this website, which is set out in Part F of this document;
- User means any user of this website, including any advertiser, subscriber, blogger, member, contributor;
- We, us and our means Media24 Ltd, our Media24 Magazines Division and our Women’s Interest Division (which include Lose it!) and, unless the context indicates otherwise, our owners, subsidiaries, parent, employees, officers, directors, suppliers, internet service providers, agents and affiliates;
- You means a User of this website;
- General conditions of use for this website
- You must register an account with us to make full use of this website. Your Account will allow you to use the members’ only pages, where you will be able to create a profile, enter competitions and discuss matters of general interest with other members.
- You may be required to choose a User name and a password to register an Account. You are responsible for keeping your User name and password secret. You’ll have to enter your Username and password every time you want to use your Account. You indemnify us against any damages suffered because you failed to keep your account details (such as User names, passwords and access codes) secure or let anyone else use your subscription account with us. You accept that you will be liable for all data submitted and transactions concluded on your subscription account.
- The Content on this website does not amount to professional advice any kind, be it legal, professional, medical, personal or otherwise, and we recommend Users seek their own advice from a suitably qualified professional in their area. If you choose to rely on our Content, you do so entirely at your own risk and you accept that we will have no liability to you in this regard.
- We don’t generally monitor, edit, control or filter the Content posted by our Users. Content submitted to this website by other Users does not necessarily represent our views and we neither authorise nor endorse such Content. We also don’t endorse any events, products or services listed by Users on our site. You must make all arrangements regarding such events, products and services directly with the relevant User at your own risk. We accept no liability regarding any event, service or product listed on this site by any third party or any arrangements made in connection with any such events, products or services.
- You agree not to use our website for any unlawful purpose. Specifically, you agree not to post or transfer to our website (nor include in any message sent to our website) any material that violates any third party’s rights or is unlawful, obscene, misleading, inaccurate, defamatory, illegal, in breach of any copyright or other intellectual property right, or damaging to data, software or the performance of our or any other parties’ computer system. You indemnify us in respect of any damages incurred as a result of your breach of this obligation.
- We have to protect our business and secure our systems. So we may intercept and monitor any communication that you may send to or receive via our website to the maximum extent allowed by law. We may also use, publish and disclose such communications for any lawful purpose. Monitoring may include the filtering of incoming and outgoing electronic data messages to identify, limit or prevent the transmission of unlawful or otherwise undesirable material or Content.
- We own any intellectual property rights in the components and features of this site, excluding any data, materials, comments, ideas, feedback or suggestions specifically submitted by Users, which belongs to them. We also own any intellectual property rights in the compilations, collective works and derivative works created by us, which may incorporate the Content of Users. So you may not use, transfer or copy any part of this site (including its source HTML code) other than for the purposes of using this site, meaning that you may only display it on your computer screen and print it for the sole purpose of viewing its Content. You may not frame the Content without our written consent. If you submit any Content to our website, you grant us an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide and royalty-free license to use such Content in any manner or form, which license will continue even after there is no longer a contractual arrangement between us.
- You may only use the trademarks featured on our site for the purpose of displaying this site on your computer screen or printing out this site to view it.
- We don’t make any warranties or representations, express or implied, about the Content or the services provided on the site or the content of any other website which may be referred to or accessed by hyperlink from this site. We also don’t endorse or approve the content of such third party websites. In particular, we disclaim all warranties implied by law and we do not make any representations as to the accuracy, suitability, non-infringement, availability, timeliness, security, completeness or reliability of the Content and we won’t be bound by the Content, including errors and omissions. We also do not represent that this site is free of viruses or bugs or anything else that may have a harmful effect on any technology, or that the site is compatible with all computer systems and browsers. You download or use any of the Content at your sole discretion and risk and are solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any such material.
- You use our website at your own risk. We exclude to the fullest extent permissible by law any liability that we may incur for any damages arising from an inability to access this site or use a service on this site, or arising from any use of this site or reliance on the data obtained from or transmitted using this website, even if we were negligent or aware of the problem in advance. In no event will we be liable for any loss of profit, goodwill, opportunity, business, anticipated saving and other direct, indirect or consequential loss of any kind in statute, contract, delict (including negligence and gross negligence) or otherwise arising in connection with your use of this site, save where such liability cannot be excluded by applicable law.
Part B: Events and Workshops
- Attendance at our workshops and events is subject to availability on a first-come, first-served basis, although our subscribers may in some cases receive priority booking.
- Please make sure that your details are correct before submitting an attendance request since it is unlikely that any mistake you make can be rectified later.
- We require proof of payment to secure your seat. We reserve the right not to accept or process your booking request and we will notify you if this is the case. We will send you a confirmation email to confirm your attendance if we choose to accept your request. But we don’t guarantee that you’ll receive the confirmation notice or that, if you do receive it, it will be legible and uncorrupted.
- If you don’t receive a confirmation notice after submitting your payment information, you should check with our Marketing Department whether or not your request has been received and processed. You may be the only one who knows of problems that occurred during the booking process. We won’t be liable for any losses you may incur if you assume that a booking was not processed just because you failed to receive our confirmation notice.
- We don’t warrant the accuracy of the arrangements for events and workshops and disclaim, to the maximum extent permitted by law, any liability arising from any omissions and inaccuracies. In particular, we disclaim any and all warranties as to the occurrence, suitability or quality of the seating arrangements, performances, venues or events and we won’t be liable for any claims in this respect, even if we have acted in a negligent or grossly negligent manner.
- No refunds will apply if you cancel your booking for or fail to attend to attend a workshop or event, unless we expressly say so. You are welcome to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about any relevant refund that may apply in these instances.
- We may refuse admission to workshops and events, alter their programme or arrangements (such as speakers, venue and time), or even postpone or cancel events in certain circumstances. Unfortunately, we cannot accept any liability should any of these occur. Our decisions in this regard are final and we won’t enter into any correspondence. However, you are welcome to email email@example.com to enquire about any relevant refund that may apply in these instances.
- Unless we say otherwise in writing, all events and workshops are provided without warranty of any kind, including as to the occurrence, timing, suitability, quality or performance of any event or workshop, or in respect of the venue, admission to such venue or the seating arrangements for such venue.
- You assume all risks incidental to the workshop or event you book for, whether before, during or thereafter. We will not be liable for any loss or damage you or anyone accompanying you may incur in the course of attending such an event or workshop and you indemnify us against any damages or injuries arising in connection with your attendance.
Part C: Competition Rules
- Unless expressly stated otherwise, these terms will apply to all competitions offered on this website. In the event of conflict between these terms and the rules applicable to any specific competition, the specific competition’s rules will prevail.
- All competitions offered on this website are open to residents of South Africa only, unless we expressly state otherwise.
- The following people may not enter a competition offered on this website:
- Anyone working for
- any of our affiliated companies, or
- any of our advertising, media or PR agencies
- Any family members or associates of any of the above people.
- No cash alternative is available to any prize unless we expressly state otherwise.
- The closing date for any competition will be as stated. The judges cannot accept responsibility for late entries.
- Any entrant may be required to submit proof of age. Entrants that are under 18 years of age may be required to provide proof of permission from their parent or legal guardian to participate in competitions.
- The judges’ decision will be final. We will not enter into correspondence.
- Where entry by SMS is applicable, SMSes are charged at premium rates. Free rates do not apply.
- We reserve the right to cancel any competition without notice at any time.
- Multiple winners may be subject to tie-break to decide an outright winner.
- Any deviation from the rules or attempt to manipulate the outcome of the prize will result in disqualification.
- Winners may be required to be photographed for publicity purposes or to participate in a live presentation, radio or television broadcast. We won’t pay any fees in this regard.
- Prizes are non-transferable, must be taken as stated and may not be sold to a third party. You must confirm acceptance of the prize as stated. If you don’t, you will no longer be eligible for the prize and it will be reallocated.
- Where prizes involve travelling abroad, winners must be in possession of a valid passport, required visas and the relevant health certificates.
- We accept no responsibility for
- any incorrect or incomplete registration details that you may supply;
- undelivered, lost or delayed entries.
Proof of sending is not proof of receipt. Errors in entries may, in the judges’ discretion, void entries.
- We may reallocate prizes if we can’t contact selected winners. Please ensure that you provide the correct contact details.
- If any prize offered is unavailable, we reserve the right to select alternative prizes of equivalent value and to modify, supplement or withdraw all or part of this competition without notice. In these cases we won’t refund costs of entry.
- In consideration for the prize, the winner’s name and place of origin may be made public by us or any company connected with the promotion.
- We own all worldwide rights, including the entire copyright, in all entries, which means that we can, in our sole discretion, do the following with the entries:
- reproduce for commercial use or otherwise,
- advertise and publicise,
- record and reproduce by any art or other medium.
These Exploitation Rights endure for the full term of copyright and other rights in the entries and all extensions and allow us to register any design rights or trademarks. You must do all things necessary, including completing any documentation, necessary to transfer the Exploitation Rights to us when we ask you to do so.
- Entrants irrevocably and unconditionally waive all moral rights to which they may now or at any time in the future be entitled pursuant to any copyright law and under any similar law in force from time to time anywhere in the world in respect of all entries.
- We won’t be liable in any way whatsoever for any damages or injury suffered as a result of your participation in a competition.
Part F: Contributor Guidelines
To be a part of our community and engage with other Users, there are two non-negotiable rules we enforce to protect Users and ourselves:
Rule 1: We require and encourage our Users to share their opinions openly but with due consideration for others. In other words, we want Users to express their opinions freely but without being abusive. While we appreciate constructive criticism, we expect all Users to treat others with respect. Users must also be at least 18 years old or have the consent of their parents or legal guardians to post comments, chat or blog on this site. We may require you to provide us with proof of your age and, if you are under 18, with proof of the consent of your parents or guardians.
Rule 2: We will refuse to publish or remove any content we think is unacceptable. We call everything that is published on our website content, including your blogs, comments and responses, as well as your personal and business profile information, messages, poll responses, video, text and images. If it is available on our site, it is considered content. And while we encourage you to share your views, expand your network and make the connections that count, we must insist that your content not include or be linked to any of the following, which we will probably consider to be unacceptable:
- Hate speech, racism, discrimination, or content that is defamatory, false, demeaning or misleading or misrepresents another person – particularly if obvious or deliberate.
- Any writings that include swear words or obscene or inappropriate language.
- Activities that constitute stalking, harassment or abuse, or are considered threatening towards a person or other people.
- Anything that infringes someone else’s intellectual property rights (including copyright, trademark, trade secret or patent) or amounts to an unauthorised disclosure of confidential information or trade secrets. If you quote someone in the content you provide, it’s up to you to credit the original author and publication.
- Anything that contains unsolicited advertising or marketing links or material – particularly if such links or material are unrelated to the particular discussion.
- Anything else, the publication of which could cause emotional, moral, physical or mental harm to you or other Users, including sensitive personal information about you or other Users, such as medical conditions, criminal records, participation in court processes, employment related information, information relating to sexual activities or preferences, religious beliefs, political opinions, race and ethnic origin.
We generally decide what’s acceptable or not on an item-by-item basis, but we in no way limit ourselves to only evaluating the things mentioned above. We reserve the right to edit or remove content and alter the unacceptable list as and when required without notifying Users. To a large degree, we rely on you to help us evaluate the content on the site. If you become aware of something that you feel is in breach of any or all of the above, please contact us directly on 021-408 3569 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part G: Complaints and General
- We aim to provide you with a quality service. If, however, you feel that you have cause to complain, you can contact us at the email address given in section 1 of Part A above. We will do our best to resolve any problems that arise. Please provide us with the following as part of your complaint:
- Your full names, physical address, telephone number and email address
- The location and description of the feature or component of our website which is the cause of your complaint
- The reason for your complaint, including any rights that you allege are infringed by such feature or component
- The actions you would like us to take to remedy the problem
- A statement confirming that you are making the complaint in good faith
- A statement confirming that the information you are providing to us is to the best of your knowledge true and correct
- Your signature.
- Our failure to enforce any provision of this agreement will not be construed as a waiver of any provision or right. If a portion of this agreement is held unenforceable or invalid by any competent authority, the unenforceable portion will be construed in accordance with applicable law as nearly as possible to reflect the original intentions of the parties, failing which it will be severed from the remainder of the provisions which will remain of full force and effect to the maximum extent permitted by law.
- We will be excused any failure to perform or delay in performance of any of our obligations as a result of an event of force majeure, which includes acts of God (including flood, fire, earthquake or other similar events), riots, war, strikes, lock-outs or other industrial disputes, epidemics, failure of telecommunications systems, failure of the world wide web, any outages of the internet or connection or communications thereto, governmental restraints and act(s) of legislature or any other cause outside our reasonable control.